Thursday, April 12, 2007

Treasure: A Review

Ok, I’ve been wanting to do this for some time, but I was so wrapped up with university assignments that I just didn’t have the time! So here is my review of the New Zealand version, track by track!

Treasure is a work of art, an exceptional album that consists of mostly classical music. This album is my favourite to date.

Let Me Lie – my favourite track of the entire album, this song is a work of art. It clearly shows two things: one, that Hayley has amazing writing talent and ability, and two, that her vocal range sung at a low key just keeps getting better and better. In Pure, I think Hayley never sang low keys as well as in Odyssey. With Treasure, she got even better! This song is a great song to drive to university with every morning! It’s also one of those songs that get stuck in your mind, which is very relaxing!!

Scarborough Fair – when I heard her sing this with the Celtic Woman, I fell in love with it. It’s such a beautiful song, especially with the strings in the middle. It is ultimately the best version of this song I’ve heard.

Shenandoah – this song is a lot like Scarborough Fair; I don’t know but they remind me of each other quite a lot. Her high notes are at her best.

Summer Fly – I don’t how Hayley even remembers this song when she sings it! If it was me, I’d get my lyrics so mixed up! This song gets my feet tapping every time! It’s a very lively song and something new for Hayley, and I really, really like it.

Whispering Hope – it took me a couple of listens to appreciate this song fully. Now, it’s one of my favourites! It demonstrates Hayley’s true vocal talent and pleasantness and how she needs absolutely no background music to enhance her voice. It is simply natural talent. It is truly a beautiful, beautiful song that holds similar themes, but not melodies, to I Say Grace from Odyssey.
Danny Boy – I think this song sounds like a lullaby! It is so pleasant, I listen to it at night to fall asleep on those stressful late nights working on assignments. I thought Maev’s version sounded a lot like Church music, and I wasn’t the hugest fan of it. But Hayley’s version is so pleasant with the very quiet background music and her very soft voice. It’s absolutely lovely.

Summer Rain – I love this song!!! I love the strings and the ‘jumpiness’ feeling of the song. I think it is an extremely sophisticated song that Hayley has written, which again shows her writing talent, both musically and vocally (she said she arranged the music).
Last Rose of Summer – my favourite song from A New Journey and was thrilled it was on the album. It shows how crystal clear Hayley’s voice is, compared to Maev’s, who also has a beautiful voice. Hayley’s high notes are again at their best.
One Fine Day – One of her best songs from this album, Hayley sings it absolutely beautifully. Starting with a perfect high note, and ending it with another high note, every pitch is perfect. It is truly one of my favourite songs on Treasure.
Sonny – what a beautifully sung one, and what a sad story! I love how it only has piano in the background. It is so relaxing!! Hayley can’t do a better job on it.

Water is Wide – I was so upset when I hears the UK Odyssey got this one!! It is so beautiful!! My school choir last year sang it at our prize giving, but nothing compares to her version. I absolutely love it!! Another one of my favourites on this album.
Melancholy Interlude - Another song indicating Hayley’s talent on song writing!! A truly dark, yet beautiful song. It is so effective!! I love her vocal range in this song.
Abide With Me – don’t you just love Hayley’s hymns??? They are so well sung and so beautiful!! I loved Prayer from Odyssey and love this one equally. The best version of this hymn I have heard yet. Absolutely stunning.
Treasure is a master piece.

Hayley, you couldn’t have done it better. Thank you for this gift to the world.

(All photos are the copywrite and propert of hayleywestenra.com and Decca)

No comments: