Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hayley in "Sunday Herald Sun" Australia

Thanks to Stephany from HWI for this article!
Dawn only diva
NUI TE KOHA and PETA HELLARD
29 April 2007
Sunday Herald Sun
Copyright 2007 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved
Soprano star Hayley Westenra has revealed her diva tendencies.
Sadly, they pale in comparison to Westenra's country cousin, opera superstar and knicker knacker Dame Kiri Te Kanawa.
Westenra expanded on backstage badness when The Buzz asked her to confirm a US report that she shows no diva behaviour whatsoever.
"I do have a few," Westenra, 20, said. "I need my sleep. That's No.1. I'm not great if I'm woken up early in the morning.
"And I need my water on me at all times. But other than that, I'm pretty grounded. The people I suround myself with are all down to earth. I can count on them to pull me into line. I think it's my New Zealand upbringing."
Dame Kiri, who also had a New Zealand upbringing, was in court earlier this year to give testimony about cancelling a string of proposed dates with John Farnham.
The Dame said she disagreed with Whispering Jack's onstage banter and underwear being hurled onstage by his fans.
Westenra, in town this week to promote her new album, Treasure, said the classical world was notorious for diva behavior.
"No names, but I've seen it happen and it's embarrassing to watch," Westenra said. "You do yourself no favours behaving this way."
Westenra has sold two million albums worldwide. She is an ambassador for charity group Unicef (recently raised money to buy 6000 bicycles for schoolgirls in Ghana) and has a part time gig with Irish vocal ensemble Celtic Woman.
For now, Westenra's focus is Treasure, a collection of traditional Irish and New Zealand songs and four new tunes. She dedicates the album to her grandmother, Shirley Ireland, who passed on most of the songs to Hayley.
"She has always been a never-ending source of songs," Westenra said.
Hayley Westenra will be at Readings, 701 Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn, on Tuesday at 6.30pm. She will perform and sign copies of her new album.

No comments: