Friday, June 22, 2007

Thanks to Stephany, my legend, from HWI, she brings this Celebraty Q&A, from http://www.issuebits.com/celebrityanswers/ca_hayleywestenra.htm

Celebrity answers with Hayley Westenra
June 1, 2007

Hayley is the fastest selling debut classical artist to date, selling 3 million records before the age of 20.

Who is Hayley Westenra?

A fun-loving, but focused kiwi chick that sings around the world for a living and loves every minute of it!

What's the meaning of life?

I think our main goal in life should be to work out what we can offer the world to make it a better place. I feel so blessed to be able to give people pleasure through my singing and this definitely gives my life meaning and purpose. I'm also into the idea that we should be enjoying life too and focusing on the simple things that make us happy. We need to get back to basics.

What's your funniest joke?

I wish I had one, but I don't! I do enjoy pulling people's legs though...the old "Sorry, I can't do the show tonight" is always a winner. Everyone finds that one hilarious.

What question would you most like AQA to answer for you?

The question on nearly every girl's lips: "Will I find the man of my dreams to settle down with and raise a family, living happily ever after?" I know. Very original.

What's the best bargain you ever bought?

I've just come back from the States with a suitcase full of bargains! Unfortunately the excess baggage charge probably cancelled out any savings, but hey, I had fun in the process! I found some great summer dresses at around $30 each (£17).

Did you dream last night? What was it about?

I did dream last night. I remember waking and struggling to separate fact from fiction. I blame it on the cheese I ate before bed. Apparently cheese is well-known for giving you strange dreams. You have been warned.

What has working as UNICEF's youngest ever ambassador taught you?

My field trip to Ghana was a big eye-opener for me. It reminded me not to take my wonderful life for granted. I felt a huge amount of guilt during that trip as you can imagine, but also felt very motivated to do all that I could to help the people there. I have since been working on raising money to provide Ghanaian girls with bicycles to help them get to school.

When you were young, you busked with your sister in Christchurch. Do you remember those days fondly?

I do. My busking days were the real beginning of my singing career. I will always be grateful for that experience. I really grew as a performer and also enjoyed the time with my wonderful sister -we were a great team. She has a beautiful voice and I'm sure you'll be hearing more from her in the future!

Was it more nerve wracking performing in front of the Queen or the crowd at the FA cup final?

Well, for the FA cup final I was singing in Welsh for the first time and had been given 24hrs to learn the short, but still very difficult Welsh National Anthem. I was shaking in my boots! Generally though, I find sporting matches not at all nerve racking and just ride on the energy and excitement of the crowd. I can't wait to sing for the All Blacks at all the Rugby World Cup matches.

If you could sing a duet with anyone alive, who would it be and what would you sing?

The Three Tenors -Schubert's Ave Maria. How amazing would that be?

You sold 3 million records before you were 20, what more do you wish to achieve in music?

I want to continue developing as a vocalist, gaining more control over more voice and more flexibility. I also want to continue developing in songwriting and arranging. I want to explore many styles of music and continue working with inspiring musicians from all across the globe.

Is it true you can sing beyond the range of human hearing?

Yes, although it´s something I don't really have control over - it comes and it goes. Apparently I may have what is known as 'whistle tone'.

No comments: