Friday, June 8, 2007

Hayley in GekkanNZ Magazine

Hayley is featured in this month's Japanese magazine, Gekkan NZ. If there are any Japanese viewers, please send me some translations!! Here are the scans:




UPDATE! TRANSLATIONS!

Thanks to Stephany from HWI, here are the translations!

GEKKAN NZ - JUNE 2007

The path she chose to follow

Treasure, Hayley Westenra’s latest album, has just been released.
Although she now considers London as her base, she still travels around the world and recently returned to New Zealand, her home country, for a temporary visit. Just in time for Anzac Day ! Despite her busy schedule, she takes the time to answer our questions and talks about her projects and passion for music.

Music & travels

Hayley Westenra discreetly arrives in the hotel’s lobby for the interview. She wears a very pretty outfit that she bought in New York, the city of fashion. She looks thin, fragile and gentle.
Although she is officially based in London, she visits lots of different countries. Before coming back to New Zealand, she went to Australia, Japan and the US. Even with such a hectic schedule, she manages to remain healthy. How does she do it ?

"I guess I just got used to this lifestyle. It requires a lot of traveling but I love working in different countries". As Hayley speaks, you can feel in the atmosphere her mental strength and determination. She speaks admirably and very brightly.

"Working in different countries is a very rich experience. I learn a lot when I’m away from my native country. Each time I go to a foreign country, my vision changes. Less stereotypes". Her latest album Treasure gathers various elements of world music along with Hayley’s own history and heritage. The influence of her grandparents and Celtic roots was very strong but she also included songs from her multiple travels.

"It’s good to have a mixture of old and new. I was keen to create new music to keep the cycle going. The tradition is important, but the music is also eternally developing".

Music & talent

Hayley is clearly different from all the other artists in New Zealand. She’s constantly praised for her vocal talent and has an impressive fanbase. She’s musically gifted and is a beautiful woman. On top of that, she remains herself…Hayley. The little girl who started recording at 13 years old is now a worldwide star and yet, she remains pretty much the same.

"Contrary to what some people may think, what I do is not always easy and pleasant. It can be difficult to see my friends and family. I travel a lot so I usually have to get up early and leave at midnight with the last plane of the day. I am always very busy but I wouldn’t want my life to change. I love what I do, music is my passion and I know how lucky I am to do what I love as a job".

Hayley is often called "The World’s One Pure Voice" or "The Voice of an Angel" but she never becomes bigheaded and works very hard to give her maximum. "I really want to perform at my best so I keep working on my voice".

Hayley & her fans

After the succes of her first album, the fans’ expectations were enormous. Hayley has a very close relationship with her audience and it’s something very important for her. "When I’m on stage, I feel their energy. They are very supportive and I’m so glad that they appreciate my music". As she talks, Hayley is widely smiling. Her determination and happiness are more palpable than ever !

No comments: