Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hayley Westenra…wow! From Fine Music Magazine

From busking on the streets of Christchurch, New Zealand, Hayley Westenra has soared to release her third album, after her first went 12 times platinum in NZ, platinum in Australia and gold in Hong Kong. Van-Anh Nguyen talks to the 19-year-old singing sensation about her journey so far.

Performing for President Bush last week. In Sydney today. In Los Angeles tomorrow for a one month tour with Irish singing group, Celtic Woman. Hayley Westenra seems unfazed by her frantic line-up of appearances. At 19, she has sold over three million albums, is the youngest ambassador for UNICEF and has collaborated with the likes of Andrea Bocelli, Jose Carreras and Bryn Terfel.

Pure and Odyssey, her first two albums, were collections of classical, folk and traditional songs. ‘I’m in the genre of what is classified as “classical cross-over”.’ Some criticise this and similar genres like popera as being ‘impure’, but to Hayley this ‘new’ genre is essential to ‘spread the music’.
In Sydney promoting her third album, Celtic Treasure, Hayley talks about how it was inspired. ‘My grandmother used to sit me on her knee and sing songs like “Danny Boy” from as early as I can remember. She was a great singer and my “pop” would play his piano accordion to accompany her. I love exploring different ways of interpreting beautiful old songs, but new music has to be written, new songs created, otherwise we are robbing the future of a past. That is why I’ve included…songs that I have written with people I’ve met on my travels around the world.’

In Year 1 Hayley’s music teacher spotted her perfect pitch. While still in primary school she starred in major musical productions – Annie, La Bohème, The Sound of Music – though like other girls she was into after-school clubs, ballet and sports. It wasn’t until she began busking that things really took off. ‘My first experience was busking with a group of mates because we didn’t have enough lunch money. I noticed that I would get quite a crowd when I was singing but when I started to play the violin, they drifted off.’ She chuckles.

No comments: